[nSLUG] Emacs + LXDE

Monte Stevens montestevens at openmailbox.org
Wed Apr 12 06:56:34 ADT 2017

Douglas Guptill <dguptill at accesswave.ca> writes:

> Hi:
>
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 12:09:55PM -0300, robbie macg wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Set up a new install on a little netbook I inherited recently. I'm running
>> Fedora 25 with an LXDE front end. So far so good, except for one thing...
>>
>> When I run Emacs (GUI) there's some kind of miscommunication that results
>> in the minibuffer (bottom part of the application window where commands
>> appear as you type them) rendering behind the panel at the bottom of the
>> screen or otherwise out of view. Google offers little in the way of advice.
>> Any LUG members have thoughts about how I should try to tackle this problem?
>
> Dump the 'emacs' package, and install 'emacs-nox'.  Then start emacs
> like this: 'lxterminal -e emacs file-name', or just 'emacs'.  F10 will
> get you a menu bar.

LXDE trumps Emacs?  How about dumping LXDE for cwm.

Seriously though.  What happens when you run `emacs -Q`?  Any change?
This test would rule out anything in your .emacs file.

I had a problem similar to this in fluxbox.  The mini-buffer and the
mode line were off the bottom of the screen each time I started emacs.
I fixed this problem by not using fluxbox anymore.

I can't seem to reproduce your issue in LXDE on Debian testing.

What are your Panel Preferences?  (Right click on the Panel, Panel
Settings.)  I've got:
- geometry
  - edge = bottom
  - alignment = left
  - margin = 0
  - monitor = 1
  - width = 100%
  - height = 26 px
  - icon size = 24 px
  - make window managers treat the panel as dock = yes
  - reserve space, and not covered by maximized windows = yes

  Monte