[nSLUG] Emacs + LXDE

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Apr 12 04:31:41 ADT 2017

Douglas Guptill <dguptill at accesswave.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 09:00:43PM -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> But emacs -nw in an xterm is not fully X-aware.
>
> That is the point.  When emacs tries to be X-aware, it gets into
> trouble.  Long latencies when ssh'ing to remote machines.

Do you mean running emacs on the remote machine with the window on the
localhost X display?  Or doing ssh in an emacs shell buffer?

> Especially if those remote machines are running a different
> GNU/Linux.  And/or a different version of X.  Or it used to.

Huh.  I don't recall any problem with emacs in its own window.  But I
run a very old emacs (20.7.2) in order to avoid having to figure out
how to disable a bunch of new features -- colorization, menu bars, I
forget what else -- that I dislike.  Newer emacsen may have newer
conflicts with X or a desktop that sits on top of X.

> In my experience, emacs-nox behaves differently, and more
> satisfactorily, than 'emacs -nw'.

Huh.  I just ran /usr/bin/emacs-20.7-no-x11 in a xterm.  Never did
that before.  It has a menu bar that should have been disabled in
~/.emacs and which is unresponsive to the mouse. You're right, it's
different.

> Mike:  Glad to see you are still alive and kicking.

Thank you.  So am I. :-)  Spring is here, our woodcock is back singing
at dusk in the back garden and we're not going to run out of wood
before it gets warm.  Now if my mental acuity would just stay sharp
for a few more hours in the day, I'd be good.  Anybody else trying to
read stuff by Yaneer Bar-Yam, New England Complex Systems Institute?

- Mike

                                                           /V\