[nSLUG] Emacs + LXDE

Douglas Guptill dguptill at accesswave.ca
Tue Apr 11 22:31:43 ADT 2017

Hello Mike:

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 09:00:43PM -0300, Mike Spencer wrote:

> Douglas Guptill <dguptill at accesswave.ca> wrote:

> > On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 12:09:55PM -0300, robbie macg wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >> Set up a new install on a little netbook I inherited recently. I'm running
> >> Fedora 25 with an LXDE front end. So far so good, except for one thing...
> >>
> >> When I run Emacs (GUI) there's some kind of miscommunication that results
> >> in the minibuffer (bottom part of the application window where commands
> >> appear as you type them) rendering behind the panel at the bottom of the
> >> screen or otherwise out of view. Google offers little in the way of advice.
> >> Any LUG members have thoughts about how I should try to tackle this problem?
> >
> > Dump the 'emacs' package, and install 'emacs-nox'.  Then start emacs
> > like this: 'lxterminal -e emacs file-name', or just 'emacs'.  F10
> > will get you a menu bar.
>
> Not sure about behaviour under LXDE but what you suggest may have
> shortcomings.
>
> I routinely run emacs both as an X-native app (in its own
> self-generated window) and "emacs -nw" in an xterm.  If you only
> install the emacs-nox package, the result should be similar to running
> "emacs -nw" in a terminal emulator (xterm or lxterminal).
>
> But emacs -nw in an xterm is not fully X-aware.

That is the point.  When emacs tries to be X-aware, it gets into
trouble.  Long latencies when ssh'ing to remote machines.  Especially
if those remote machines are running a different GNU/Linux.  And/or a
different version of X.  Or it used to.

In my experience, emacs-nox behaves differently, and more
satisfactorily, than 'emacs -nw'.

Mike:  Glad to see you are still alive and kicking.

Regards,
Douglas.