[nSLUG] wget & interrupted fetch

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 09:05:00 ADT 2016

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 2:42 AM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> gnw> What version of wget?
>
> Wget 1.10.2.

I'm mainly using 1.18.  The NASA site that provides a lot of the data I use
needs something newer than 1.10.2.  We do have on RHEL5 system where
we had to use 1.12 until RH provided "1.11.4 Red Hat modified".  Versions
newer than 1.12 wouldn't build on RHEL5 due to missing libraries.  There
are some interesting bugs reported against wget, such as #903756 where
wget gives errors for https "certificates with alternate names" and has an
upstream patch that arrived too late for RHEL5.

An interesting wget 1.14 bug is Ubuntu #1273648, "wget exits with
exit code 0 even though server responded with 416"

Maybe time to look for small modern distro that runs on old hardware whose
name is debian.

> gnw> Is there a firewall involved?
>
> Not locally, only my amateur effort with iptables.  Presumably not
> remotely at a site with a publicly accessible web server.
>

> I'll work on it.
>
> Tnx,
> - Mike
>
> --