[nSLUG] System performance, etc.

Bill Morrow morrowwm at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 12:37:50 ADT 2016

> From: Frank Geitzler <frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca>
>
> I have an old Compaq Proteva tower which I use to test out disk drives,
> new software, etc.
>

> For some time I have been annoyed at the performance of the system -I
> can type faster than the letters appear on the screen...

> I later realized
> by entering 'df' on my laptop, that the swap file apparently does not
> show on the list of files produced by the 'df' command -that was just a
> 'red herring'.
> I have a feeling that something is running which is wasting cycles.
>
> I don't have any experience with the system internals -can anyone
> suggest some installed or free Ubuntu software tools which would let me
> see what is running, and how to stop processes which shouldn't be there,
> etc.?  If this were a Windows system, I would give it a three-fingered
> salute to get Task Manager, and see which processes were heavy cycle
> users...
> Thanks,
> Frank

In a Terminal, at the command prompt, you could type "top" and watch the
processes. Typing a "?" gives help on the commands which top accepts. The
"<" and ">" keys can be used to change the sorting column, for example.

Am I right in understanding that you are working from your laptop,
connected to the Compaq tower? If so, the problem might be lag in the
connection. Is it a serial line, or network? Or do you get the same lag
when directly on the server's keyboard?