[nSLUG] Question re. Installing GRUB (not GRUB2) on a 'new' hard drive

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Sat Oct 29 14:49:31 ADT 2016

On 29 October 2016 at 12:26, Frank Geitzler
<frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> I have  an old laptop running Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS.  Or course, this release
> is no longer in support, but I want to retain it -but not on this computer.

> Unfortunately, when I booted the desktop machine with the Ubuntu 10.04.4
> DVD, select 'try ubuntu',
> open a terminal with Ctrl-Alt-t, and enter 'sudo grub',  the response is:
> sudo: grub: command not found.

after booting the live cd open a terminal and try:

mount <root_fs> /mnt
mount <boot_fs> /mnt/boot   #optional if /boot is seperate
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
chroot /mnt

then run grub

Also please don't connect Ubuntu 10.04 to the internet. The botnets
are big enough.

--
sg