[nSLUG] Question re. Installing GRUB (not GRUB2) on a 'new' hard drive

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 29 13:26:16 ADT 2016

I have  an old laptop running Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS.  Or course, this
release is no longer in support, but I want to retain it -but not on
this computer.

I have partitioned a 'new' hard drive on a desktop machine with a
similar (not identical) layout to that of the laptop.

I have restored the two Ubuntu partitions (sda7 & sda8) to partitions
sda6 and sda7 of the 'new' hard drive using Clonezilla.

I determined the UUIDs of partitions sda6 and sda7 of the 'new' drive,
and used vim to edit /etc/fstab and modify it to refer to the new
partition locations.

 I Googled 'How do I install Grub on a Ubuntu 10.04 system recovered on
a new drive?'
I looked at a number of responses from that query, and the following
response seemed to fit my situation:
    [SOLVED] restoring grub after a "successful" hd clone - Ubuntu
forums
Instructions near the end of the post , read:
Re: restoring grub after a "successful" hd clone
        Boot the ubuntu Live CD/USB. Choose "try ubuntu". When the
        desktop loads open a terminal and do this:

        Code:

        1. Type sudo grub. Should get text of which last line is grub>
        2. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1". You'll get a response like "(hd0,4)".
           Use whatever your computer spits out for the following lines.
        3. Type "root (hd0,4)",
        4. Type "setup (hd0)", to install GRUB to MBR
        5. Quit grub by typing "quit".
        6. Reboot and remove the bootable CD.
Unfortunately, when I booted the desktop machine with the Ubuntu 10.04.4
DVD, select 'try ubuntu',
open a terminal with Ctrl-Alt-t, and enter 'sudo grub',  the response
is:
sudo: grub: command not found.

When I enter 'ls',  response is the list of folders from 'home' folder
of the installation DVD, as follows:
Desktop Documents Downloads Music Pictures Public Templates Videos

When I enter 'cat /etc/fstab' the response is the three lines from that
file on the DVD, rather than the edited fstab on partition sda6.

When I enter 'df', the list of devices does not include anything from
the hard drive -so it is not mounted.

It seems to me that I should be mounting sda and sda6 somehow, and
referring to them somehow in the grub command, but I am not sure how to
do either one.
Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Frank