[nSLUG] City Wide Comm. with more speed

Daniel AJ Sokolov daniel at falco.ca
Mon May 16 01:25:52 ADT 2016

The Eastlink-Reseller City Wide Communications just sent out the
following email to its customers.

TL;DR: They now offer two faster speed levels (50/5 Mbit/s @ $67 and
100/10 MBit/s @ $83; the current 20/2 Mbit/s @ $47 is still available).
But for the time being they will NOT advertise their faster speeds, you
have to be in the know and ask for it.

FYI
Daniel AJ

Here's the email:

We have some exciting news to share with you. City Wide Communications
was successful in our Part 1 application filing with the C.R.T.C, we
believed we had the right to resell the higher speeds that we were being
denied for years, the C.R.T.C agreed with us and now we are able to
offer you faster speeds.

The C.R.T.C ruling states we can only open up one serving area every 2
weeks. For the first serving area we have chosen Halifax Regional
Municipality (HRM) as it’s the largest with more than 200 communities.
City Wide Communications is a “reseller”, we are still waiting for the
T.P.I.A (Third Part Internet Access) tariff to be approved by the
C.R.T.C. Once the tariff is approved we will be able to open up all
areas, until then we can only open up one area every 2 weeks.

Currently you have our 20 Mbps download/2 Mbps upload speed at
$47.95/mth, we are now able to offer you 50 Mbps download/5 Mbps upload
speed at $66.95/mth or our 100 Mbps download/10 Mbps upload speed at
$82.95/mth if you live in the HRM area. All of our packages have no caps
or usage fees. There is a $10 activation fee to upgrade your speed plus
the difference in cost from your current speed to the new speed you choose.

We expect to be very busy upgrading our current customers so we have
decided not to update our web site with the new speeds to help reduce
the call volume. From the time we receive your upgrade order it can take
up to 5 business days for your speed upgrade to be activated.