[nSLUG] Encrypted Emails

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Tue May 3 22:19:19 ADT 2016

+1 that message. ----vv
(My own viewpoint:

My reason came out of the fact that there was a stretch of years I was
without an ISP, or any kind of hosting.  I opted for an email service for a
kind of permanence - ISP's can be switched on a dime, hosts can and have
failed, resulting in reconfiguration, loss of messages, and - at that time,
since a host may not have a webmail option - lack of portability.  Gmail
was in beta at the time, was clean, and this was back when Google would be
open on what evil they were doing.  I migrated everything over from my old
Dal account and never looked back.

In regard to the original "issue", the extent it "nags" me is that it
leaves a red unlocked padlock next to the sender's name.  Google can go
ahead and be paranoid about the security of my incoming emails, but since
their algorithms are going ahead and sifting through said emails for
targeted ads, I fail to see the point in encrypting, or worrying about the
implications of not encrypting the payload of, a *public* mailing list.)

--
Cheers,
Joel Maxuel

 - Ronan Harris / Mark Jackson