[nSLUG] Setting up an Thunderbird account with Sympatico on Ubuntu 14.04

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 10:21:24 ADT 2016

Thunderbird can do anything you need.  The question is, what does Bell
require for the settings?  The Thunderbird wizard tries to guess some
typical values, but it isn't probing any sort of imformation derived from
DHCP/DNS and the like, so don't be mislead by the suggestions from the
wizard.  Ask Bell/Sympatico what values to use in any Thunderbird - it
isn't really a Linux question at that point.  It involves Linux if you are
trying to integrate the Internet into your local mail server.  If it is
only a client question, Bell's support should be able to give you the
values.  Just don't introduce the topic of Linux and you'll get your
answers much quicker.  Thunderbird is still Thunderbird on Mac or Windows,
just different menu labels, etc.  Also ask yourself, do you really want
their email?  If it is only for checking your billing emails, just use
their webmail.  Other email platforms have an advantage of working
everywhere, and if you switch ISPs, you don't need to tell everyone your
new email address.