[nSLUG] Setting up an Thunderbird account with Sympatico on Ubuntu 14.04

Monte Stevens montestevens at eastlink.ca
Fri Mar 25 08:21:58 ADT 2016

Frank Geitzler <frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca> writes:
>   * I selected ‘Done’ and the following warning message appeared:
>     Warning!
>     Incoming settings: pop.bellaliant.net does not use encryption.
>     > Technical Details
>     Insecure mail servers do not use encrypted connectons to protect your passwords and private information. By connecting to this server you could expose your password and private information.
>     Outgoing settings: smtp.bellaliant.net does not use encryption.
>     > Technical Details
>     Insecure mail servers do not use encrypted connectons to protect your passwords and private information. By connecting to this server you could expose your password and private information.
>     Outgoing settings: smtp.bellaliant.net does not use encryption.
>     Thunderbird can allow you to get your mail using the provided configurations. However, you should contact your administrator or email provider regarding these improper connections. See the Thunderbird
>     FAQ for more information.

If you want encrypted pop3: choose port 995 instead of 110.
If you want encrypted smtp: choose port 465 or 587 instead of 25.

I am not sure if Bell offers any of ports 995, 465, 587.  I cannot find
a reference to those ports on bellaliant.ca/support.  I would try each
of them, in conjunction with thunderbird's documentation on whichever
checkboxes may be required.  Following that, a phone call to Bell's tech
support group may be required.  (The published email setup instructions
seem to be Microsot/Apple-centric; you may not want to mention the terms
"Ubuntu", "GNU+Linux", "Thunderbird" on the phone.)

Here's somewhere to start learning about encryption on smtp.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15796530/what-is-the-difference-between-ports-465-and-587

More reading; maybe this can help with testing if the ports are
available.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11738389/view-ssl-certificate-on-ports-587-25-110-465-995-143-993

  Monte