[nSLUG] Setting up an Thunderbird account with Sympatico on Ubuntu 14.04

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 24 17:40:03 ADT 2016

I recently attempted to set up Thunderbird email to access my existing
Sympatico email account, on a new installation of Ubuntu 14.04. I went
through the Thunderbird setup process, detailed below. Following the
setup process, I received a strong warning, and I decided to cancel my
attempt to set up Thunderbird at this point, by closing the application.

I would appreciate any suggestions on the appropriate way for me to more
safely set up Thunderbird to access my existing Sympatico account.

The warning following the setup process was:

Warning!
Incoming settings: pop.bellaliant.net does not use encryption.
> Technical Details
Insecure mail servers do not use encrypted connectons to protect your
passwords and private information. By connecting to this server you
could expose your password and private information.
Outgoing settings: smtp.bellaliant.net does not use encryption.
> Technical Details
Insecure mail servers do not use encrypted connectons to protect your
passwords and private information. By connecting to this server you
could expose your password and private information.
Outgoing settings: smtp.bellaliant.net does not use encryption.
Thunderbird can allow you to get your mail using the provided
configurations. However, you should contact your administrator or email
provider regarding these improper connections. See the Thunderbird FAQ
for more information.

My setup procedure was:

      * I first added the Thunderbird Icon to the launcher.

      * I then selected the Thunderbird Mail application from the
        launcher, and that application window appeared, together with a
        pop-up “Welcome to Thunderbird” window asking “Would you like a
        new email address?” and the default name and a default ISP. Two
        buttons at the bottom of the window read “Skip this and use my
        existing email” and “I think I’ll configure my account later.”

      * I de-selected the default ISP, and selected the “Skip this and
        use my existing email” button.

      * The ”Mail Account Setup” window appeared, with three default
        fields and one default checkbox shown. Those defaults were:
        My name: Frank Geitzler Your name, as shown to others
        Email address: email at example.com
        Password: Password
        The checkbox was captioned “Remember password”,
        and defaulted to ‘checked’.
        Command buttons at the bottom of the window read “Get a new
        account”, “Cancel”, and “Continue”. The first two command
        buttons were enabled, while the last was not yet enabled.

      * I unchecked the checkbox, and filled in the three data fields:
        Your name: Frank Geitzler Your name, as shown to others
        Email address: frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
        Password: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

      * I then selected the ‘Continue’ command button.

      * Thunderbird attempted to use that information to connect to
        common ISPs and was unsuccessful, and displayed the message “!
        Thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account.”
        and displayed the following captions and defaults:
        Server hostname Port SSL Authentication
        Incoming: IMAP .ns.sympatico.ca Autodetect Autodetect Autodetect
        Outgoing: SMTP .ns.sympatico.ca Autodetect Autodetect Autodetect
        Username: incoming: fcgeitzler outgoing: fcgeitzler

        Five command buttons at the bottom of the “Mail Account Setup”
        window now read “Get a new account” “Advanced config”, “Cancel”,
        “Re-test”, and “Done”.

      * I made the following changes:
        Server hostname Port SSL Authentication
        Incoming: POP3 pop.bellaliant.net 25 Autodetect Normal password
        Outgoing: SMTP smtp.bellaliant.net 110 Autodetect Autodetect
        Username: incoming: frank geitzler outgoing: frank geitzler

      * When I selected ‘Re-test” the message “The following settings
        were found by probing the given server” appeared, with the
        captions and settings which follow:
        Server hostname Port SSL Authentication
        Incoming: POP3 pop.bellaliant.net 110 none Normal password
        Outgoing: SMTP smtp.bellaliant.net 25 Normal password
        Username: incoming: frank geitzler outgoing: frank geitzler

        and all five command buttons were enabled.

      * I selected ‘Done’ and the following warning message appeared:
        Warning!
        Incoming settings: pop.bellaliant.net does not use encryption.
        > Technical Details
        Insecure mail servers do not use encrypted connectons to protect
        your passwords and private information. By connecting to this
        server you could expose your password and private information.
        Outgoing settings: smtp.bellaliant.net does not use encryption.
        > Technical Details
        Insecure mail servers do not use encrypted connectons to protect
        your passwords and private information. By connecting to this
        server you could expose your password and private information.
        Outgoing settings: smtp.bellaliant.net does not use encryption.
        Thunderbird can allow you to get your mail using the provided
        configurations. However, you should contact your administrator
        or email provider regarding these improper connections. See the
        Thunderbird FAQ for more information.

        A checkbox labeled ‘I understand the risks’ was followed by two
        command buttons, “Change Settings” and “Done”, with only the
        first enabled.

      * I decided to cancel my attempt to set up Thunderbird at this
        point, by closing the application.

I would appreciate any suggestions on the appropriate way for me to more
safely set up Thunderbird to access my existing Sympatico account.

Thanks,

Frank Geitzler