[nSLUG] which distribution of Linux should I choose?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 15:10:28 ADT 2016

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 2:12 PM, <galaxies_of_light at unseen.is> wrote:

> Hello, group.
> I'm looking for a distribution of Linux that will work with this wifi card:
>
> Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless
> Network Adapter (rev 01)
>     Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device 0608
>     Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
>     Memory at f0a00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
>     Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
>
> Any suggestions? My wifi card is currently not working with Ubuntu 15,
> Ubuntu 16, or Mint 17, so those are ruled out.

Newer distributions support more recent hardware, but there are often
backports that allow
newer hardware to run older distros.   Installing multiple distros in the
hope that one will
solve a hardware problem is rarely helpful.  You time would be better spent
investigating
the problem in more detail on one distribution.     Have you read
https://wiki.debian.org/brcm80211 and the links?  Much of the information
is relevant to Ubuntu and Mint
which are based on debian.

In https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211, there is:

Please note: at least BCM4313 is not fully supported. Some models appears
to work (users reported success), but some don't, and there's no indication
that this is going to change. For example:
http://marc.info/?t=138817851800006&r=1&w=2

> Thank you!
>
> - Sparky

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia