[nSLUG] [NSLUG] Re: Annoying Eastlink Notices

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 08:47:02 AST 2016

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 4:48 AM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>
> > If I understand this correctly (and I'm not an expert), they load
> > the abovereferenced javascript which changes the URL displayed in
> > the browser to the URL of the original webpage, creates an iFrame,
> > and finally adds HTML-code to the original HTML-page. This puts the
> > text and link into the iFrame.
>
> http://www.eastlink.ca/billc11.aspx says:
>
>     How will the customer be informed on the notice from the copyright
>     owner?
>
>     If and when Eastlink receives a request to forward notice from the
>     copyright owner to the offending IP address, Eastlink will
>     initiate a pop up message on one or more active browsers connected
>     to the modem with the IP address.

I'm aware of the requirement to forward notices, but I've never heard of
Canadian law which requires injecting notices on web site visits.  The
notices I've seen are always in relation to logged bittorrent activity with
the modified client to log peers, The emailed notices are never related to
any web site visits.  Is Eastlink being a little policeman on their own, or
where do they get the imperative to do this?