[nSLUG] Talk - Introduction to Linux

Malcolm MacDonald geekymalcolm at outlook.com
Thu Feb 18 11:25:53 AST 2016

Hello All:
First time replying, long time lurker.
If you're going to get people to even think about Linux, you need to stress functionality, ease of use & security / privacy.  Especially when comparing against Windows 10.
A lot is going to depend on the individual user.  My GF's mom is 68 & Windows 7 was giving her all kinds of issues.  Reloaded her laptop with Mint Linux & that was almost a year ago, no issues since then.  But then you temper that with my own mother, who went from Windows 7 to Mint & has had nothing but trouble, simply because of small visual changes.  She was raised on Windows & nothing but Windows.  It's almost worth my time & effort to put her back onto Windows b/c she has had so many issues with the transition.
A suggestion might be having one PC with Windows on it & another with Linux (Mint, Ubuntu, Chromium, etc) so you can do side by side comparison of the two & how you won't lose functionality, etc, etc.

Malcolm