[nSLUG] Stick Ubuntu 16.04-driver to 15.10?

Evan Lowry lowry.e at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 08:20:41 AST 2016

Your de/wm of choice should have no impact on the drivers you're using
underneath, or vice-versa. So no worries there. Just make sure the version
of libinput you install is compatible with the version of xorg you're
running.

It looks like ubuntu 15.10 should have 1.17-2, which provided the 21.1
input ABI. The package you linked (0.16.x) requires the 22.x input ABI.
You'll want to grab something in the 0.15.x line to get a 21.x compatible
ABI.

That's all just assuming stock setup, double check your own system for
incompatibilities, ymmv.

I personally switched to synaptics instead of libinput on my laptop
(arch/xps 13), but palm detection isn't as much of a concern for me.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 2:24 AM, Daniel AJ Sokolov <daniel at falco.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have Dell laptop (New XPS 13) that has always been fraught by a lack
> of palm detection on the touchpad. That makes for very limited use,
> because I can only use the laptop when there is enough space to use an
> external mouse. I MUST deactivate the touchpad if I want to type anything.
>
> Apparently, users of Archlinux have been successful in enabling palm
> detection by installing this:
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-libinput
>
> That xorg-input-libinput is meant for the forthcoming Ubuntu 16.04.
>
> Do you think I can install it onto an Ubuntu 15.10 device running a
> Mate-desktop?
>
> What are the pitfalls?
>
> Thank you
> Daniel AJ