[nSLUG] Re: strings(1) overkill

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Dec 13 17:35:02 AST 2016

Monte Stevens <montestevens at openmailbox.org> wrote:

mspencer at tallships.ca (Mike Spencer) writes:

>> The manpage for strings(1) says:
>>
>>      Strings displays the sequences of printable characters in each of
>>      the specified files...
>>
>> but the definition of "printable" seems to have changed.  In newer
>> systems (newer versions of strings(1)?), I get lots of non-ASCII, e.g.
>> [snip]
>> which is, in fact, binary stuff that I'm not looking for.  Is there
>> way to defeat this short of hacking the source or rolling my own?
>
> Have you tried the 'encoding' option ( -e/ --encoding )?

Say what? Don't have that.  [tikky-tikky-spop-click...]

Oh, right.  I have bin-utils 2.23.52.0.1.  The strings(1) manpage (on
the net) from bin-utils 2.27.51 has that option.

Well, it was time for me to upgrade to Slackware 14.2 anyhow.
Been putting it off because it will probably revert my idiosyncratic
tweaks and I'll have to do them over again.

Tnx,
- Mike

                                                           /V\