[nSLUG] strings(1) overkill

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Tue Dec 13 03:41:21 AST 2016

The manpage for strings(1) says:

     Strings displays the sequences of printable characters in each of
     the specified files...

but the definition of "printable" seems to have changed.  In newer
systems (newer versions of strings(1)?), I get lots of non-ASCII, e.g.

éàÿÿÿÿ£
éÐÿÿÿÿ£
éÀÿÿÿÿ£
é°ÿÿÿÿ£
é ÿÿÿÿ£
ÿÿÿÿ£$
ÿÿÿÿ£(

(Dunno how that will render for you.  In my Emacs it renders as
printable but non-ASCII Roman chars, degree symbol and UKPound sign.)

which is, in fact, binary stuff that I'm not looking for.  Is there
way to defeat this short of hacking the source or rolling my own?

- Mike

                                                           /V\