[nSLUG] Issues moving MySQL to a different folder in Ubuntu 16.04

Paul Russell prussellster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 00:45:59 ADT 2016

Hi

Thanks for this. I'll have to give the mount commands a shot (at some
point).

I did try the symlink. MySQL didn't blow up, but it did just plain ignore
it and showed the same error as if it wasn't there.

Paul

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:28 AM, Stephen Gregory <nslug at kernelpanic.ca>
wrote:

> On 9 August 2016 at 22:14, Paul Russell <prussellster at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > and I have gotten a number of errors when trying to fire up the MySQL
> > service after the changes.
>
> I have seen this general problem before with other software (I don't
> use MySQL, or ubuntu 16.04). Somewhere in the myriad of start-up
> scripts and conf files the old path is set or hard coded. In the long
> run I often find it easier to use a work-around (a hack) and use the
> default configuration.
>
> either
> ln -s /sdb1/mysql /var/lib/mysql
>
> or
> mount -o bind /sdb1/mysql /var/lib/mysql
> some poorly written software blows up on symlinks, but I doubt mysql would
>
> or maybe
> mount /dev/sdb1 /var
> plus lots of moving stuff from original var (kinda a pain honestly)
>
> --
> sg

Paul Russell
Parade Marshall, 2016 Sackville Canada Day Parade
President, Sackville Cobequid PC Association
ZipSure.ca - Insurance In A Click
(902) 830-5043