[nSLUG] Issues moving MySQL to a different folder in Ubuntu 16.04

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Wed Aug 10 00:28:53 ADT 2016

On 9 August 2016 at 22:14, Paul Russell <prussellster at gmail.com> wrote:

> and I have gotten a number of errors when trying to fire up the MySQL
> service after the changes.

I have seen this general problem before with other software (I don't
use MySQL, or ubuntu 16.04). Somewhere in the myriad of start-up
scripts and conf files the old path is set or hard coded. In the long
run I often find it easier to use a work-around (a hack) and use the
default configuration.

either
ln -s /sdb1/mysql /var/lib/mysql

or
mount -o bind /sdb1/mysql /var/lib/mysql
some poorly written software blows up on symlinks, but I doubt mysql would

or maybe
mount /dev/sdb1 /var
plus lots of moving stuff from original var (kinda a pain honestly)

--
sg