[nSLUG] Citywide

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Thu Apr 21 22:24:02 ADT 2016

I have voip with voip.ms (a canadian company). I have used it for
years. I pay for "premium" voip at 1cent a minute. Apart from the a
several second delay when placing a call it is indistinguishable from
old school copper. My phone bill is $.85 for a phone number, $1.50 for
911 + 1c/min air time (in USD despite being a canadian company :(. I
pay less than $5/month. It includes every conceivable phone feature
you could want.

A big part of what makes this work is QoS on my firewall. Voip packets
are given a guaranteed bandwidth and top priority before all other
packets. My upload of all packets is capped at 90% of my tested upload
speed to insure that my firewall can manage QoS and not some device
between me and the ISP. (see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bufferbloat). If you don't have QoS on
your firewall you can get a cisco/linksys with a firewall and QoS
built in.

I use a grandstream ATA (phone to voip adapter) which I bought for
less then $50. Cisco/Linksys et al have similar devices for a similar
price.

The grandstream ATA was picky about the phones it was connected too.
Two phones that might have been 15years old had terrible background
noise. A brand new panasonic phone was fine, and a generic GE phone
from decades past was also fine.

I don't know what makes voip.ms so much better then Vonage but it is.
I high recommend it paying $30/month for a phone is criminal.

--
sg