[nSLUG] Load spikes, X bogs down. Why? Fix?

Dop Ganger nslug at fop.ns.ca
Sat Apr 9 18:35:35 ADT 2016

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016, Mike Spencer wrote:

> Dop wrote:
>
>> You may have excessive buffering going on - again, with current
>> settings things can be a little excessive. /proc/sys/vm is the
>> directory, files to tinker with are:
>
> That's my guess, despite my very limited understanding of the kernel.

I have found settings tend to be skewed towards high end machines. If one
happens to have a high end machine that's great, however for the rest of
us until ACOA sees the error of its ways and hands out money to us all to
buy server machines for home use tuning is the order of the day. In my
experience your best bet is to try poking numbers into the /proc settings
and see how your system reacts - worst case you either OOM and force a
reboot or force a reboot yourself.

>> I would imagine mount -t sys /sys should do it, possibly with mkdir /sys
>> first if it's not there already.
>
> I have a /sys directory but there's nothing in it. Should there be
> with a 2.4.33 kernel?

Not sure. The oldest I have to hand is 2.6.16 which has it.
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/sysfs.txt says
original date was 2003 so... maybe? I suspect you may be looking at a
kernel recompile though if it's not mounting by default and won't respond
to manual attempts to mount.

> Thanks for the detailed reply.  It'll take me a bit to work through
> your suggestions, especially your remarks on the vmstat output.  Have
> to do more reading to see, from the data, what you see.  Other things
> to do on a sunny spring day. :-)

Speaking as someone down in Lunenburg drinking champagne while my
girlfriend showers before we go out for her birthday dinner, I am in full
agreement. Enjoy the day!

Cheers... Dop.