[nSLUG] Re: Load spikes, X bogs down. Why? Fix?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sat Apr 9 17:59:05 ADT 2016

Dop wrote:

> You may have excessive buffering going on - again, with current
> settings things can be a little excessive. /proc/sys/vm is the
> directory, files to tinker with are:

That's my guess, despite my very limited understanding of the kernel.

> I would imagine mount -t sys /sys should do it, possibly with mkdir /sys
> first if it's not there already.

I have a /sys directory but there's nothing in it. Should there be
with a 2.4.33 kernel?

Thanks for the detailed reply.  It'll take me a bit to work through
your suggestions, especially your remarks on the vmstat output.  Have
to do more reading to see, from the data, what you see.  Other things
to do on a sunny spring day. :-)

Tnx,
- Mike

                                                           /V\