[nSLUG] Load spikes, X bogs down. Why? Fix?

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Fri Apr 8 00:16:18 ADT 2016

On 6 April 2016 at 23:31, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:

> The problem is that, on a new setup, the system bogs down so badly
> under some conditions (appareently during HD access) that the X cursor
> takes seconds to respond and X window manipulations take even longer.

> The only thing that has changed (unless I've overlooked something) is
> that the old drive was IDE, the new drive SATA.

I would not be surprised if the SATA to IDE/PATA emulation was part of
the problem.

- The emulation could be buggy. Can you upgrade the bios for your
mainboard? (guessing it is hard to find if it is an IBM board.)

- Can you switch to AHCI mode (aka native mode) for the SATA?
according to the wikipedia Linux supports AHCI as of 2.6.9 so you
would need to upgrade the kernel.

Is the bios set to use UDMA or Ultra ATA mode?

Is there any other PATA/IDE device? If possible disconnect it and see
if it makes a difference.

Did you try both sata ports?

If your drive has the "use SATA 1, or SATA 1.5 Gbit/s mode" jumper try
it. It may be a tiny jumper simply labelled as 1.5.

> BUT: running a command like:
>
>      cp /mnt/usb-thumb-drive/700-meg-file /mnt/hda3/storage

I would be curious what the output of 'vmstat 1' looked like when you
do that copy. And top.

--
sg