[nSLUG] Load spikes, X bogs down. Why? Fix?

Joel Maxuel j.maxuel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 21:53:17 ADT 2016

I would concur.    Would also explain why your other hard drive died in the
first place.  I have a 500GB that I had to take out of an abusive situation
(due to PSU), and replace both parts (drive was slapped around enough to go
into pre-fail).

I kept the HDD and reused it in a non-critical situation (HTPC), and
haven't had an issue with it since.

Anyway, warning signs would be hearing the drive spin up randomly,
stutters, screen/application freezing, and "DRDY" errors on TTY1 or better
yet, in the logs.  By then, though, you may be looking for HDD #3.

A way to check (assuming your HDD supports this)...

sudo aptitude install smartmontools
sudo smartctl -H /dev/hda

--
Cheers,