[nSLUG] Question re. accessing a Windows partition from Ubuntu

Stephen Gregory nslug at kernelpanic.ca
Fri Apr 1 21:55:41 ADT 2016

On 1 April 2016 at 17:12, Frank Geitzler <frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

>     sudo mkdir /media/mywin7
>
>     mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /media/mywin7 -o ro

You will need sudo for the mount command and -o option should come
before the device and dir:

sudo mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/sda1 /media/mywin7

BUT
    I think ubuntu has the udisks command which is the "correct" way to do it:

udisks --mount /dev/sda1 --mount-fstype ntfs --mount-options ro

That should create the mount point for you (probably in /media), and
make you the owner of the files (I think). Note that you don't need
sudo for udisks.

If you always want to access you windows filesystems you can add the
mount to fstab:

/dev/sda1   /media/mywin7   ntfs     ro     0 0

You should read the ntfs manpage and look at the options. You probably
want to set uid and gid to your user uid and gid:
man mount.ntfs

> Should I be successful and safe in accessing my Windows 7 partition in read
> only mode without doing any damage to either system?

yes.

> If I wanted to do the same thing on a Windows-only system, booting Ubuntu
> from an installation DVD, the 'mkdir' command wouldn't be able to write to
> the DVD, so this wouldn't work, would it.  Could I get around that by using
> d thumb drive?

No need. The Ubuntu install DVD uses a ram filesystem. You can create
files and directories as normal, but everything goes away when you
reboot. You can also install packages into the live Ubuntu install
environment. It is quite handy when you need some software that is not
on the install DVD to repair a system.

--
sg