[nSLUG] Question re. accessing a Windows partition from Ubuntu

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 1 18:12:09 ADT 2016

I am attempting to access my Win7 partition from Ubuntu with the
following command:
    mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 mywin7 -o ro
The system responds that it is unable to find the mount point.  I get
the impression that if I enter the following command:
    sudo mkdir /media/mywin7
followed by the command:
    mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /media/mywin7 -o ro

Should I be successful and safe in accessing my Windows 7 partition in
read only mode without doing any damage to either system?

If I wanted to do the same thing on a Windows-only system, booting
Ubuntu from an installation DVD, the 'mkdir' command wouldn't be able to
write to the DVD, so this wouldn't work, would it.  Could I get around
that by using d thumb drive?

Thanks,
Frank