[nSLUG] Bell FibreOP port blocking

Vlado Keselj vlado at dnlp.ca
Sat Oct 10 17:00:27 ADT 2015

Thank you all for quick response.  I had a business level service with
Eastlink and they did not block anything (but bandwith was extremely bad
frequently -- it seems due to weather conditions!?).  I run email lists
and some email forwarding, so I guess I will have to use an external
server for outgoing email.

I am surprised that they block 22.  Based on some discussions on Internet,
there seem to be opposing advices about running sshd on the standard port
22 or not.  I found out that it is very easy to make sshd listen to more
ports.  I chose 222; I am not sure if there is downside. A problem with
443 is that I have HTTPS server running.  2222 is used frequently, but it
is normally in the user range, so it may be a security risk.

Vlado