[nSLUG] Bell FibreOP port blocking

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 14:26:54 ADT 2015

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Vlado Keselj <vlado at dnlp.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently moved to Bell FibreOP, and it seems that they block
> outgoing port 25 (SMTP) and incoming 22 (SSH).
>
> Is this their general rule, or has anyone been able to have these working?

All ISPs will block outbound port 25 unless the service is commercial level.
The exceptions are Eastlink will allow smtp relay over 25 to their SMTP,
and Bell Fibre Op will allow authenticated smtp to their system but disallow
email that is not from the bellalliant domain.  I'm using smtpcorp.com
for my relay (smtp2go.com) with their free level (limit of 20 outbound per day)
and port 2525.

SSH is best for home servers to run on an alternate port anyway, or you will
have brute force attempts hammering the system 24x7.