[nSLUG] Thunderbird and line wrap control

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 10:47:44 AST 2015

I require preformat style in most of what I communicate, and
I want control over my line wraps.  It has puzzled me
why I can see the email the way I intend when I send it,
but others receive it with a line wrap at random points.
At first I believed it was their client, but when I saw
one of my Sent items mangled this way, I realized
it is purely a flaw of Thunderbird.

The option to fix it is hidden in the config variables editor.

The question came up on Serverfault and they linked in
this answer:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Thunderbird#Disable_word_wrapping_in_outgoing_messages

Disable word wrapping in outgoing messages
Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor

Set the preference called "mail.wrap_long_lines" to false

I think this flaw and fix needs to be better promoted, as we may not
be aware our emails are sent in such wacky shape.