[nSLUG] Another question Re: Problem setting up a test server

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 11:51:39 AST 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Frank Geitzler <
frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Thanks, Donald.  Your guideline might suggest why I had a problem.  The
> 'Zend' installation instructions had me edit the file
> "/etc/apt/sources.list" and add the following line:
>     deb *http://repos.zend.com/zend-server/8.5/deb_apache2.4
> <http://repos.zend.com/zend-server/8.5/deb_apache2.4>* server non-free
> I was to then to add Zend's repository public key by running:
> *    <root at franklin-desktop>*sudo wget *http://repos.zend.com/zend.key
> <http://repos.zend.com/zend.key>* -O- | sudo apt-key add -
>
> I added the above 'deb ' line at the end of the file '...sources.list',
> which if I understand how the library search path would be set up, would
> mean that the Ubuntu library would provide any modules first, and the Zend
> library would only provide modules which had not already been found in the
> Ubuntu library.  Is this correct?
>
> Robin suggested to me that my installation error messages indicate that
> php is expecting libxml2 v2.9.0, and I have v2.7.8 installed.  He suggests
> that I run the following two commands to attempt to correct this situation:
>     sudo apt-get update
>     sudo apt-get install libxml2
> to see if it is able to upgrade.
>
> Before I do this, however, I wonder if I should move the line in the
> '..sources.list' to a point closer to the beginning of the file?
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation?  I am inexperienced at this sort of
> thing, and don't want to make things even more confused than they are
> already.
> Thanks for your help.
> Frank

In this case, you have a hybrid of the two types of sources I mentioned.
This is getting to be more common these days.  The third party provides
their own repository (repo) which should be safe to add on to your system.

Again, my answer is going to be generic, without delving into the
actual grit of the stuff at hand.

Typically, these repos will have their own identifying tag within the
package names.
So if you are looking for libxml2, be aware there might be two offered -
one from the Ubuntu repo, and one from the Zend repo.  I would do a
'aptitude search libxml' and see what options are shown for packages.
If you are using the Zend repo for a bunch of packages and they
all contain "zend" in the name, it would be reported with something
like dpkg -l | grep zend .  If they have done this consistently, you should
be able to observe the pattern and predict what the third party package
will be named.  I'm sure there is a flag for specifying the repo to apt-get
as well,
but I've rarely needed it as the package names should not conflict.

I might also comment that using the Zend repository, while documented
in your book, isn't the only way to use php, mysql, etc.  These work
well as the open source versions of these packages provided
in any Linux distro without getting into the licensed product from Zend.

--Donald