[nSLUG] Problem setting up a test server

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 23:53:49 AST 2015

On Sat, Nov 21, 2015 at 10:41 AM, Frank Geitzler <
frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I am setting up a development server on a Ubuntu 14.04 desktop system,
> following instructions from an e-book from Hallifax Library titled
> "Learning PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, and CSS, 2E" by Robin Nixon.  The third
> chapter refers to downloading a free Apache server called a Zend server,
> and I reached the point in the installation requiring me to specify the PHP
> version (5.5 or 5.6) I require, so I entered the following command:
>
>     # sudo aptitude install zend-server-php-5.6
>
> After I entered that command everything seemed to go well until the end of the installation,
> when the following messages were produced.  I documented the error to the Zend support center,
> but I won't hold my breath waiting for a response, since I described myself as a student,
> and stated that the application was not mission-critical, etc.
> Can anyone suggest what might have gone wrong, and what I can do to recover?  I have a copy of the log,
> but am not sure what the security implications to me would be of providing all the URLs, etc. shown
> in the log on an open web forum.
> Thanks,
> Frank
> The messages at the end of the installation were:
>
> ERROR: "/usr/sbin/apache2ctl" -S 2>&1 returned with error
> Zend Server encountered some problems while configuring Apache and could not be installed.
> Please refer to the Zend Support Center at http://www.zend.com/en/support-center/ for further assistance.
>
> dpkg: error processing zend-server-php-5.6 (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
> Setting up odbcinst (2.2.14p2-5ubuntu3) ...
> Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
> ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
>  zend-server-php-5.6Log ended: 2015-11-20  05:18:10
>
> The following is the installation procedure I was following.  I followed
> this procedure to the point where it required me to complete and submit
> the above-mentioned aptitude command, which followed the heading "*To
> Install:*" in the instructions.
>
>     Google “zend server”
> zend.com -zend(r) Server – The Complete PHP App Platform ->
>
> _www.zend.com/Server <http://www.zend.com/Server>_ -> Download Free Trial ->
>
> Zend Server with Z-Ray Free Trial
>
> Please select your platform - Linux (x86_64) -
>
> (scroll down to Installation Instructions ) ->
>
> Installation Guide
>
> Welcome to the Zend Server Installation Guide
>
> To get started, select the most suitable type of installation
> or upgrade instructions according to your operating system:
>
> debian – ubuntu -> install
>

> Installing Zend Server on DEB
>
> This topic describes the procedures for installing Zend Server on a DEB
> operating system.
>
> Note:
>
> After installing Zend Server 8.5, you will automatically be using a
> 30-day enterprise edition trial license.
>

> I don't have specific experience with this, but can offer
a guideline for this generic scenario...

When following a guide like this, it is important to stick with the
download method as they describe.  Apache, php and mysql
should all come from the same packaging world, because each has
libraries, expected path and config files to glue in from the other.
If you download something from the Zend site, and then
use Ubuntu/Debian packages to provide another part,
they won't be set up in a compatible way for where files
are expected to be found.

I would pick either the download method, or the distro package method,
and stay the course on method A or method B providing everything
from the AMP stack.  i.e. If you are downloading an Apache package
from Zend, then don't combine it with Ubuntu packages for php/mysql.
Follow the instructions at Zend for how to make their thing work...
it might involve downloading mysql and php source and compiling it.
Alternately, use purely Ubuntu to provide all of the packages needed,
and they will be designed to work together by the distro (as well
as pulling in any dependencies needed).