[nSLUG] Problem setting up a test server

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 21 10:41:24 AST 2015

I am setting up a development server on a Ubuntu 14.04 desktop system,
following instructions from an e-book from Hallifax Library titled
"Learning PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, and CSS, 2E" by Robin Nixon.  The
third chapter refers to downloading a free Apache server called a Zend
server, and I reached the point in the installation requiring me to
specify the PHP version (5.5 or 5.6) I require, so I entered the
following command:

    # sudo aptitude install zend-server-php-5.6

After I entered that command everything seemed to go well until the end of the installation,
when the following messages were produced.  I documented the error to the Zend support center,
but I won't hold my breath waiting for a response, since I described myself as a student,
and stated that the application was not mission-critical, etc.
Can anyone suggest what might have gone wrong, and what I can do to recover?  I have a copy of the log,
but am not sure what the security implications to me would be of providing all the URLs, etc. shown
in the log on an open web forum.
Thanks,
Frank

The messages at the end of the installation were:

ERROR: "/usr/sbin/apache2ctl" -S 2>&1 returned with error
Zend Server encountered some problems while configuring Apache and could not be installed.
Please refer to the Zend Support Center at http://www.zend.com/en/support-center/ for further assistance.

dpkg: error processing zend-server-php-5.6 (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Setting up odbcinst (2.2.14p2-5ubuntu3) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
 zend-server-php-5.6
Log ended: 2015-11-20  05:18:10

The following is the installation procedure I was following.  I followed
this procedure to the point where it required me to complete and submit
the above-mentioned aptitude command, which followed the heading "*To
Install:*" in the instructions.

    Google “zend server”

zend.com -zend(r) Server – The Complete PHP App Platform ->

_www.zend.com/Server <http://www.zend.com/Server>_ -> Download Free Trial ->

Zend Server with Z-Ray Free Trial

Please select your platform - Linux (x86_64) -

(scroll down to Installation Instructions ) ->

Installation Guide

Welcome to the Zend Server Installation Guide

To get started, select the most suitable type of installation
or upgrade instructions according to your operating system:

debian – ubuntu -> install

Installing Zend Server on DEB

This topic describes the procedures for installing Zend Server on a DEB
operating system.

Note:

After installing Zend Server 8.5, you will automatically be using a
30-day enterprise edition trial license.