[nSLUG] How to avoid systemd in Debian 8 "Jessie"

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Tue May 12 21:14:04 ADT 2015

To answer my won question that started this thread:
https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#systemd-upgrade-default-init-system
That page says :

If you have a preference for another init such as sysvinit-core or upstart,
it is recommended to set up APT pinning prior to the upgrade. This may also
be required if you are upgrading LXC containers before the host. In this
case, please refer to Section 5.8.1, “Upgrading LXC guests running on
Wheezy hosts”
<https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#issues-lxc-wheezy-host>.

As an example, to prevent systemd-sysv from being installed during the
upgrade, you can create a file called /etc/apt/preferences.d/local-pin-init
with the following contents:

Package: systemd-sysv
Pin: release o=Debian
Pin-Priority: -1

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 1:13 PM, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 12:23 PM, Norm <anamelech at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sounds like the systemd-sysv wrapper.  What does 'file /sbin/init'
> return? If it is systemd-sysv, it'll be a symlink to the systemd process.
> >

> > https://packages.debian.org/sid/systemd-sysv
>
> It is linked to /lib/systemd/systemd
>
> Fake init.  This is like the Shore Leave ST episode.

Oliver Doepner
http://oliver.doepner.net/