[nSLUG] Remote desktop tool?

Oliver Doepner odoepner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 19:07:11 ADT 2015

The comments under this article speak volumes:
http://xmodulo.com/how-to-speed-up-x11-forwarding-in-ssh.html

This very educated rant about X has allegedly been "proof-read" by folks
from X11 team:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=x_wayland_situation&num=3

Quote from the page:
"*II)* “X is Network Transparent.” Wrong. Its not. Core X and DRI-1 were
network transparent. No one uses either one. Shared-Memory, DRI-2 and
DRI-3000 are NOT network transparent, they do NOT work over the network.
Modern day X comes down to synchronous, poorly done VNC. If it was poorly
done, async, VNC then maybe we could make it work. But its not. Xlib is
synchronous (and the movement to XCB is a slow one) which makes networking
a NIGHTMARE."

--
Oliver Doepner
http://oliver.doepner.net/