[nSLUG] Remote desktop tool?

Robin Murray nibor.yarrum at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 09:51:46 ADT 2015

One solution I haven't seen mentioned here is to install a synology nas.
They are stunningly simple to set up and they just work. They have a built
in cloud file sync service that can sync multiple devices: change a file on
your desktop and have that change reflected on your phone and laptop
immediately. It has piles of other software available to run on it like
music server, picture gallery, traditional file server, survalence, even
asterisk and many others. It's all configured via your browser though what
looks like a full desktop.

I use the cloud service to sync two laptops and two phones, then I sync the
nas to crashplan to have an offsite copy. So changing one file on my laptop
causes it to replicate automatically within minutes to six different
locations,  including offsite. What luxury to have this available on a home
network environment.

I'm rarely impressed with computer packages, I've become jaded over the
years, but this one really blew my socks off.