[nSLUG] Remote desktop tool?

Jack Warkentin jwark at bellaliant.net
Sat Mar 14 15:40:16 ADT 2015

Hi Trina

Here is the standard way of accessing a remote UNIX desktop from a local
one.

1. Make sure you have openssh installed on both computers. On Debian
that would the packages openssh-client and openssh-server.

2. As root, cd to /etc/ssh and edit both the ssh_config and sshd_config
files.

For ssh_config, make sure that both ForwardX11 and ForwardX11Trusted are
set to yes. For sshd_config, make sure X11Forwarding is set to yes.

3. As an ordinary user at the command line, use the ssh command from the
local machine to log in to the remote machine. This will ask you to
confirm some security information.

4. This login will provide you with a command line window on the remote
machine. You can issue any commands on the remote machine from that
window. Also, by issuing the appropriate command line command, you can
start up any GUI application on the remote machine and it will display
on the local machine.

5. I am not sure what you mean by "access files". With the above, you
can display them on the local machine just as if they were on the local
machine. If you want to copy them to the local machine then use scp.

Regards

Jack