[nSLUG] Remote desktop tool?

Dave Flogeras dflogeras2 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 08:35:53 ADT 2015

If you only need to access files, ssh/sftp (and through ssh, rsync)
can do wonders.  This might be cumbersome if you aren't a command line
person (although GUIs exist, I know I've gotten clients to use WinSCP
for transferring files to Windows machines in the past).

A little more complex to set up would be running some sort of a VPN on
a machine to securely let your work machine connect to your home
network.  I've had good luck running openvpn.  I believe others in the
group have mentioned using openswan/IPSec.

After that any desktop sharing software would work (I use tigerVNC
because the server works great on my linux hosts, and it has an easy
to install Windows client as well if you need to access from a win32
machine).  I think Ubuntu may have it's own desktop sharing software
integrated with unity.