[nSLUG] The .config file for compiling a kernel

D G Teed donald.teed at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 10:58:03 ADT 2015

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Dave Flogeras <dflogeras2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I also highly recommend doing an out-of-tree build when you are
> experimenting, it makes it very easy to start over if you wish to get
> back to a known state without polluting your src tree. It also means
> you can configure and build as a normal user (always a bad idea to run
> X/gui tools as root).  Finally, it's nice if you keep multiple build
> configurations for the same kernel.  You only have one copy of the
> src/ dir, but multiple build dirs; one for each config.
>
> Start in your /usr/src/linux directory (or wherever your sources are installed):
> - make O=/path/to/some/place/to/build defconfig (that's a capital oh, not zero)
> - cd /path/to/some/place/to/build
> - cp /my/known/good/oldconfig .config
> - make oldconfig

Lots of really good answers here.  I can only contribute that
make oldconfig is tiresome.  It will ask about a zillion devices,
one at a time, which have been added to the kernel since the last
.config was generated.

I am an ncurses fan, so I use make menuconfig, which sets a default
answer for all of the new devices and options added to the kernel
since the previous kernel.  It allows one to enter the configuration
in a context where you can drill down.  That way, you only
mess with the particular hardware setting you wanted to support,
and then write out the config.    When there is a newer kernel
and you only want to recompile, then menuconfig handles it
with defaults for all the new stuff.  make menuconfig, save
the .config, and exit.  Much faster.