[nSLUG] Source for early news on security issues

Stephen Yorke syorke at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 17:36:16 ADT 2015

I smell an NSLUG idea brewing.   ;-)

Security aggregator website and provide it as an RSS feed, push/toast
notifications by using some created application for iOS, Android, Chrome,
Microsoft or whatever.  Would be quite easy to create it as a Website which
polled different security sites, maybe top 3 - 5 to start and then bring in
others slowly.

Thoughts?  I could probably whip something up in a few days if you have
specific sites which you would want/like to be polled.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 4:53 PM, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Joel Maxuel <j.maxuel at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This doesn't work?:
> > http://slashdot.org/tag/security
> >
> > I changed my prefs to the old slashdot a while ago, maybe that has
> something
> > to do with it.
> >

> The tag link you have is like a search for anything tagged 'security'.
> It only displays a subject.  The previous one had
> security as a topic and it auto refreshed.
>
> I think what I was looking for was:
>
> http://slashdot.org/security?source=autorefresh
>
> That still works, but they don't provide the link to that on the main page.
> I'm open to anything which may be better.  I'm interested in macro
> level of stuff that involves open source, Linux and *nix.  By macro
> I mean that things like Debian or Redhat security news can be
> specific to only them, and not include something like major issue
> with routers, CMS, etc.
>

> > On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 4:24 PM, D G Teed <donald.teed at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> One of the ways I found useful of getting early news on security issues
> >> was to have a browser refreshing on the Security category of Slashdot.
> >>
> >> Slashdot has been revamped and I don't see an equivalent feature.
> >>
> >> What do others do to get the earliest possible news on security issues
> >> like heartbleed, bash bug and the kind of thing you want to patch
> >> in the next 5 minutes if possible?
> >>
> >> I subscribe to a few things like US-CERT, but most of them are days
> >> rather than minutes to release security news like this.

Thank you,
-Stephen Yorke
President/Founder
Vaper Box Inc