[nSLUG] The .config file for compiling a kernel

Dave Flogeras dflogeras2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 09:18:37 ADT 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 4:16 AM, Mike Spencer <mspencer at tallships.ca> wrote:
> So I copied `zcat /proc/config.gz` to the new kernel src dir; ran make
> oldconfig; waded through guesswork about new symbols; ran make.  Which
> is still churning along after more than an hour or so on a quite
> modern quad-core CPU.

If you want to assign more horsepower to make, you can use 'make -jN'
where N is the number of concurrent compiles.  The kernel parallelizes
very well (some project's dependencies are too tight for a realizable
speedup).  For maximum advantage, set N to the number of cores you
have + 1.  So 5 for you.  If you have a hyperthreading CPU, you may
see 8 "cores".  You probably want to stick to make -j5 though.  If
your system needs to be responsive while building, decrease it to say
make -j3 for a happy medium.

Most of this huge compile stems from the fact that your kernel config
is designed to boot anything. It probably includes all but the most
esoteric features and drivers.  If your custom kernel is a long term
goal, I'd highly recommend paring it down over time.  Just be
cautious; only remove features/hardware support for things you know
you don't have.  Work iteratively, booting once in a while to make
sure you didn't remove a useful feature.

>    + Are there restrictions on what you can name kernels?
>      Can't I call the new kernel Anything-I-Like,  put it in /boot and
>      edit /etc/lilo.conf to offer both it and the current vmlinuz as
>      boot alternatives?

That should be fine.  Again useful if you botch a build and get an
oops, you can just select your known good kernel and still boot.
Otherwise, keep systemrescuecd handy :)

>    + Do the System.map and config files in /boot play any active part
>      in booting or running Linux?  My only dual boot setup boots DOS
>      5.0 from a separate partition. I've never done a setup with two
>      versions of Linux. But it makes sense to me to have what works now
>      remain available in case the new kernel fails to boot for some
>      reason. Isn't that straightforward?

Yup, if you have it, /sbin/installkernel will copy and make symlinks
for you, including keeping the old one around.  It's a debian script,
but it is even included with Gentoo.  It is what gets called if you
run "make install" from your kernel build.

At the end of the day, you can also manage the files and symlinks
yourself if you have a naming scheme you like better than what make
install creates.