[nSLUG] httpd busy on idle machine?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Wed Jun 24 02:27:39 ADT 2015

Running a 3.10.17 kernel on my rather new laptop.

When the machine is essentially idle -- X on, some iconified xterms
and emacsen and xclock, cable-connected to LAN but not to internet, no
traffic in or out, top(1) running in an xterm.

I see that one or more instances of httpd and kworker/n:m spend a lot
of time near the top of the display.  AIUI, kworker is/are generic
handlers for system calls.  So in my ignorance, this appears to me as
if httpd is busy *doing* something when nothing should be asking it to
do anything.

rcu_sched and udevd pop up to the top of the display frequently, too.

On my desktop, running an older (2.4) kernel, httpd never shows up
near the top of top(1) unless I send a browser to http://localhost.

Is something weird or undesirable happening with the laptop?  Or is
it normal for newer kernel and software to doing some kind of busywork
on a mostly idle machine?

(I only thought to look at this because I had an anomalous boot
followed by sluggish response of a fast machine.  Killing and
restarting httpd seemed to fix the sluggishness.  Subsequent boot was
normal but the behavior of httpd in top(1) was the same. But I don't
really know what I'm looking at here, don't understand all th einfo
that top(1) can show me.)

- Mike

                                                           /V\