[nSLUG] Wikipedia changes/limits protocols?

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Mon Jul 13 03:16:05 ADT 2015

This is kinda OT; it's about a network difficulty with HTTPS.

Wikipedia recently went to HTTPS-only. That was a bother.

Now I can't access it at all except with "wget --no-check-certificate".

My "new" browser is an old version of Firefox.  FF reports:

    The connection was reset
    The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

and Wireshark shows repeated instances of this transaction:

    TCP    32998  >  https  [SYN]
    TCP    https  >  32998  [SYN, ACK]
    TCP    32998  >  https  [ACK]
    SSLv2  Client Hello
    TCP    https  >  32998  [ACK]
    TCP    https  >  32998  [RST, ACK]

each with a new local port number.

Does this mean that Wikipedia is just flatly refusing, at the protocol
level, requests to do HTTPS via SSL?  That they're demanding TLS or some
other security protocol that I don't know about?  Anybody know exactly
what's going on here?

Yeah, I know there's talk about SSL having flaws and being deprecated.
But why (if the answer to the above question is "yes") is WP getting
all hard-case about encryption?  I don't care if the NSA or CSEC or
GCHQ or anybody else can see what I read on WP.  If I did, traffic
analysis would get me anyhow.  I don't get my newspaper by private
courier in a Plain Brown Wrapper.

Grump,
- Mike

PS: Baha, I haven't overlooked the suggestions you made (6 Jul) about
    configuring httpd.  I just haven't had the laptop with the
    putative problem booted up.  I'll let you know what I find when I
    do.  -m

                                                           /V\