[nSLUG] File help

Mike Spencer mspencer at tallships.ca
Sun Jul 5 17:16:16 ADT 2015

Trina wrote:

> So today I issued the following command on a folder:
>
> chmod 644 <folder name>

Assuming that "folder" is a synonym for the Unix/Linux locution
"directory" [1], once you have marked a directory 644, no one but
root, not even the owner, should be able to see/list the files in that
directory.  "Permission denied".  At least that's the way it works on
my machine.  The 'x' bit has to be set, at least for the owner, to
access the contents of the directory.

> Now everything in that folder is showing as a Binary file, including
> the sub folders in folder.

I just tried this on a dummy dir I set up.  chmod'ed the dir to  644.
Only root can look inside.  Looking inside the dir as root, the
permissions on the files *inside* the dir did not change.

> ... showing as a Binary file...

Do you mean that the files in question had the "executable" bit set?

   -rwxr-xr-x  1 trina   users [etc....]

Or am I missing something about identifying a "binary" file? [1]

Doesn't answer your question, does it?  The best I can make of the
chmod(1) manpage is that using the --recursive option changes
permissions on both files and subdirectories recursively, which
probably isn't what you want.  Huh.

And as a digression, if you happen to be working on a system with AFS,
the Unix-style permissions can still be set but become mostly
(entirely? I forget) irrelevant and you have to do stuff peculiar to
AFS.

- Mike

[1] Not being snarky here.  I'm just sufficiently out of touch with
    much of current jargon to feel obliged to equivocate and qualify
    bit. :-)

                                                           /V\