[nSLUG] The Shellbot army owns a ski slope webcam in Switzerland

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 13:10:47 AST 2015

Today's dairy on ISC.SANS.edu has

"Shellshock scanning and bot-pushing will now be "background noise" for the
foreseeable future, because there is a surprising number of systems out
there that remain vulnerable. Systems that our sensors then pick up as
being part of a Shellbot army. Investigating one of these bots recently, I
discovered that it was a Slackware installation from 2007 and appeared to
be a remote weather sensor, complete with webcam that showed the (sadly,
very green) ski slope below. I managed to track down the owner, a hotel in
Switzerland, who were "unaware" that their weather station "contained a
computer". If our DShield logs are any indication, there are A LOT of these
devices (and hotels, etc ..) out there."

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia