[nSLUG] Python and HTML

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 9 11:35:46 AST 2015

On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 03:16 -0400, Mike Spencer wrote:

> I think I wasn't paying attention, Fran, so I'm unclear on just what
> you're doing.

Mike, I am a newbie to Python, and have been working my way through a
book called Head First Python, by Paul Barry, from O'Reilly books.
After a few introductory chapters introducing a new user to Python, and
to the IDLE integrated development environment (IDE), chapters 5 through
7 introduce a hypothetical application designed to help a
track-and-field coach keep track of his athletes' running speeds over a
600m run.  It starts out with individual csv (Comma-Separated Variable)
files for each athlete, with each string containing a list of times
(irregularly recorded, with different separators between minutes and
seconds, which have to be 'sanitized' from a format such as
'2-34,3:21,2.34,2.45...' to a more standard (and sorted) python list
format such as ['2-34', '2-34', '2-45', '3-21', ...] and eventually in
chapter 7 into HTML pages which can be shared with team members and
others over the internet in a 'webapp'.  Neither Apache nor any other
production server is mentioned.  The book introduces YATE ('Yet Another
Template Engine'), to impliment CGI ( the 'Common Gateway Interface'),
and page 235 states 'Here are the five lines of code needed to build a
web server in Python:

    from http.server import HTTPServer, CGIHTTPRequeseteHandler

    port = 8080
    httpd = HTTPServer(('', port), CGIHTTPRequeseteHandler)
    print("Starting simple_httpd on port: " + str(httpd.server_port)
    httpd.serve_forever()

I sent more details to the nSLUG thread and to Byron yesterday, but in
case you missed them I will forward a copy of that message to you
off-thread.  This is my first cgi script, and the first step,
'index.html' does get to the local server and is displayed, but is
unable to find the files in the cgi-bin folder.  I can forward the
messages generated by the app. if you think it would help.
Thanks
Frank