[nSLUG] Python and HTML

Frank Geitzler frank.geitzler at ns.sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 8 23:35:18 AST 2015

On Thu, 2015-01-08 at 17:50 -0400, Byron Winmill wrote:

> Is the server configured to allow CGI programs in general, as well as
> to allow CGI programs in that particular directory?

Byron, as far as I can tell, there should be no restrictions.
I used IDLE to determine my Python search path:

>>> import sys
>>> sys.path
[‘/home/frank’, ‘/usr.bin’, ‘/usr/lib/python3.1’,
‘/usr/lib/python3.1/plat-linux2’, ‘/usr/lib/python3.1/lib-dynload’,
‘/usr/lib/python3.1/dist-packages’,
‘/usr/local/lib/python3.1/dist-packages’]
I stored the code for the server, simple_httpd.py in the
directory /home/frank, together with the other sub-directories and files
listed below:

The code for the server is:

from http.server import HTTPServer, CGIHTTPRequestHandler

import cgitb
cgitb.enable()
port = 8080

httpd = HTTPServer(('', port), CGIHTTPRequestHandler)
print("Starting simple_httpd on port: " + str(httpd.server_port))
httpd.serve_forever()

The server is started in a terminal window by changing to the sub-directory "/home/frank" in which it resides, and issuing the following command (where the name of the file is simple_httpd.py):
	python3 simple_htppd.py
I then open FireFox and enter "http://localhost:8080/", at which point the form "index.html" is displayed.  That form is in the same directory as is the server code, as are
the following files and sub-directories which are also required:
	folders; cgi-bin, data, images, templates
	files: coach.css,	favicon.ico

The code for the entire application can be found as part of the download
for the examples of chapter 7 at:
    http://www.headfirstlabs.com/books/hfpython/
if you care to dig that deeply into it, or I can send individual files
if desired -I just don't want to fill up this thread too much.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Frank