[nSLUG] Inexpensive decibel meter for a project?

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 13:55:05 AST 2015

There is a new industry creating low-power bluetooth sensors that run for
months off a CR2032 or AAA battery.  Parrot (French company that also makes
UAV's) makes a light+temperature+moisture sensor for plants.
http://www.elinux.org/RPi_Bluetooth_LE discusses Bluetooth LE, but with
wireless you might be able to record
data on a system located in a secure area.

Tessle.io has a modular USB-based system with a range of sensors with linux
support, including an "ambient" sensor for light and sound.

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Joel Maxuel <j.maxuel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> I thought I may had the solution to this, but now it's time for me to ask
> around....
>
> I volunteered for a project at work in one of the nursing units, to
> measure noise pollution, and maybe even light pollution, over a given night
> (exported into say, a CSV/XML spreadsheet), at a patients bedside.  I
> figured a Raspberry Pi would be up to the job for that, but apparently not:
>
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18014&p=179448
>
> The budget is in the $100 range, mostly because we don't want a device
> people could just walk off with (which is why a phone app isn't looking
> like a good option right now).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on what would work, bonus points being
> open source?  Much appreciated.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Joel Maxuel
>
> "One should strive to achieve, not sit in bitter regret."
>  - Ronan Harris / Mark Jackson

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia