[nSLUG] Inexpensive decibel meter for a project?

Dave Flogeras dflogeras2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 13:51:40 AST 2015

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Joel Maxuel <j.maxuel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Windows drivers are okay, even preferred, as that is the kind of ecosystem
> at the hospital.
>
> Sensitivity might be an issue as the literature suggests optimum sleeping
> decibels is no more than 25 to 30 dB where this one starts at 30 dB.
> Something that has a low end of 20 and a top of say, 100, is probably where
> we want to be.
>
> Finally, I do notice as with this posting, that they may not ship to Canada.
>
> Thank you for giving me another twist in my scope though.

That ebay post was just an example, I'm guessing there are many to choose from.

If time wasn't a factor, I'd be happy to donate some time to help make
up a custom solution.  I've been playing around with microcontrollers
in my spare time, and it would be feasible to make a tiny battery
operated sensor with a microphone capable of sensing sound levels.
Then in software you could process/average/calibrate it and send it
over usb or bluetooth to a laptop for logging (bluetooth could mean
you could put the laptop in a locked drawer out of harms way).

I've done various bits of this all before, but it would take time to
develop on the cheap (parts and boards can be acquired cheaply, but
slowly), and possible a few iterations.  Then some lab testing against
a calibrated sound meter to adjust the sensitivities.

Could open source the software and hardware and let other people
benefit as well.

Again, probably a huge stretch that would take wayy more personal
investment, and possibly even cost more (even on the cheap), but hey
if you're looking for a fun project over the winter....