[nSLUG] Inexpensive decibel meter for a project?

Dave Flogeras dflogeras2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 12:49:01 AST 2015

Hey Joel,

There are cheapo dB meters on ebay with a USB capability:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Sound-Pressure-tester-Level-Meter-30-130dB-Decibel-USB-Noise-Measurement-/261270425976

It only mentions Windows drivers, but who knows, someone may have
created Linux software by now.  I'm sure they aren't laboratory
quality, but you could probably hack something together with a Pi or a
cheap kijiji netbook to log the data for about $100.  Even if they
aren't super accurate, you could gather all your data which is
relative to each other, then reference the cheapo meter vs a good
quality one and figure out a correction curve to apply after the fact.